Search Engine Optimisation can be split up into two categories, on-site Search Engine Optimisation and off-site Search Engine Optimisation. On-site Search Engine Optimisation is concerned with making sure that the pages on your site are configured correctly, the meta tags, keywords, images etc. Off-site Search Engine Optimisation is concerned with links back to your site from other sites, or backlinks.
Both on and off play a vital role in good Search Engine Optimisation, but the truth is, no one really knows what goes on with the Google algorithm and there are some strange anomalies out there in the world wide web, but the general principles outlined below are about as good as you can get.
On-Site Search Engine Optimisation
1. Title Search Engine Optimisation
The most important element, it must be appealing for visitor and to the search engines too.
- Your Name/Business Name/Site Name – good copy to entice visitors to click through
- Keywords – use main keyword ONCE (unless need to ^^)
- LSI keywords – list 10 LSI to include in copy from Google keywords tool
- Write a title which is readable to humans & also good for the search engine
- Include your 1-800 or other business phone numbers
- Less that 70 characters
- TIP – research niche keyword and write it down with 10-15 LSI keywords
2. Meta Tags Search Engine Optimisation
- Include your Selling Point – must be good copy for real customers.
- Keywords and LSI Keywords
- 1-800 or other business Numbers
2a. Meta Tags
- <TITLE>SEE SECTION 1</TITLE>
- <meta name=”description” content=”main keyword, 2 LSI and great copy”>
- <meta name=”keywords” content=”main keyword and 3 LSI”>
- <meta http-equiv=”content-language” content=”en”>
3. Important HTML Tags
- Header 1: Header 1 should be used to define the most important section of your page.
- Header 2 & 3: Header 2 and 3 can be used for Page/Post titles or important sections of your pages. Text Styles:
- Italic: You can use the [em] tag to emphasize certain words which will appear in italic
The first <h1> is the most important, and should always be used for the title of the page. The following tags <h2> to <h6> should then be used to define sub headings, or sections on a page in order of importance. Usually web pages won’t go beyond the <h3> tags as they will instead feature multiple <h2> tags, providing that the sub headings are of equal importance. The heading tags are a key aspect of telling a search engine what your page is about, so don’t use them simply for design purposes – a mistake that many web designers are guilty of doing.
- Bold: Emboldening keywords, overdoing this may get you penalized.
The Bold and Strong tags should be used to enhance your visitors experience and to help emphasise the more important keywords on your webpage to the search engines. Realistically you should only be adding these tags once per keyphrase on your page and don’t over do it. In times gone by it was touted that inserting a specific amount of these tags would help you reach an optimum “keyword density”, but those theories have largely been dispelled by Google.
4. Keyword Search Engine Optimisation & Synonyms
- Research: Do a proper research before you decide on your keywords.
- Keyword Density: 2%
- Synonyms & Related Keywords: LSI keywords
- Long Tail Keywords:
5. Link Search Engine Optimisation
- Keyword in the anchor text which gives the outbound link a ‘proper meaning’ and value.
- /%category%/%name%/ in permalinks.
6. Image Search Engine Optimisation
- Alt text : Keyword rich alt txt with LSI
- File name : keyword rich like “apple-iphone-cover.jpg” instead of meaningless “DSC24045.jpg”
- Image Title : [img src=”http://imagelocation.jpg” alt=”Image description” title=”Title of the Image”]
- Image Linking: use “view an Apple iPhone”, instead of “Click here to view” as the anchor text.
Off-Site Search Engine Optimisation
Good quality, unique, keyword specific articles posted on good quality article directories or legal directories is a great way to get good quality backlinks and exposure to potential clients. Getting published on lexis nexis, mondaq or lexology, to name but a few industry specific, good quality article publishers, is a great way to get search engine trust but also industry trust.
Getting published backlinks on your local industry body website is another great way to get great quality trust. A good way to do this is to volunteer to speak at a society event or something similar.
Getting backlinks from practice specific websites like IP Australia if you are an IP lawyer or FamilyLawCourts.gov.au for a family law practitioner or Legal Aid websites for family / criminal practices.
Google own the top two search engines in the world, Google Search and YouTube! That is right, YouTube performs more searches that Yahoo, Bing or any other search engine after Google. Part of any successful search engine campaign is a network of short video presentations. A useful how-to style video, or useful tips and tricks video are the best style of video presentation to make. Sunshine Coast SEO uses a video sitemap to include the on-site embedded videos in the Google SERP’s.
A network of free blogs and web 2.0 properties are another great way of creating backlinks to your main website and deep linking to pages. Creating good quality, high value content on sites like WordPress, Blogger, Hubpages and Squidoo and then optimising those sites creates good value “link juice” which flows through the links to your website.
These days there is not much SEO value in the millions of free directory sites out there, especially if they ask for a reciprocal link in exchange. But, there are a number of low cost, good quality directories out there that do pass some value. For example, lawyers.com.au is a good quality, human edited directory that will be of some value. Also, directories with good quality top level domains will pass trust to your website, for example, I found a wedding directory for a client on a sub-directory of .ninemsn.com.au. So a good quality “dofollow” directory submission will still pass a certain amount of trust.
What You Need To Know About Search Engine Optimisation
If you are the owner of a website, it is important to see how your success and your search engine ranking go hand in hand. Use this article to learn the ways to move to the top of the rankings through Search Engine Optimisation.
You first task is to learn your Search Engine Optimisation basics. The world of the internet is not ideal, decisions on rankings are not made by human beings. They are actually made by search engine robots. It is computers, with their complex algorithms, that determine how useful a website is based on loosely defined parameters. The main goal of Sunshine Coast Search Engine Optimisation is to help your website have a good ranking by building concepts in your design that computers would find appealing.
There are several factors that search engines use to figure out the ranking of your website. Keywords have a great influence on your website’s ranking. It also uses backlinks and how often the site is updated as part of the equation.
Your search engine rankings will not improve quickly. It will be necessary for you o put a lot of effort into your Sunshine Coast Search Engine Optimisation tactics, including the work you do on your site development and content. Put a lot of keywords throughout your website, specifically in the titles and headings, as this is a place that many people overlook.
Sponsored or featured listings, which normally appear on the top or the sides of search engine result pages, are paid locations that are usually occupied by major corporations with the finances to afford them. However, this is not an option for most website owners due to the cost involved.
There is much more to search engine optimisation than just dropping word clusters into your website content. You can also get good notice and rankings based on how you link to external sites, link to sections inside of your own page and even more by having external sites backlink to you. Use any contacts you have at external sites to see if you can hammer out an arrangement for link exchanges.
A “targeted visitor” is a visitor that you seek out through Sunshine Coast Search Engine Optimisation, advertising, or any other method. Those actively looking for your site are much more likely to purchase from you than those who come across your site by accident. If you want these types of clients, you need good keywords. Another way to increase targeted traffic is to purchase links on websites that are related to the products and services that you sell. Visitors on these websites are more likely to be interested in what you’re selling.
Having a website should be a must for any business owner. Getting your business online opens your doors to a vast array of potential customers, many of whom would never be able to buy from you in person. Treat your website as an essential part of your business. Emphasizing this is the point of this article, and we hope that you now know how important your website is to the success of your business.