So many people ask us at Sunshine Coast SEO “how do I get my picture on Google Search Results”? What this is called is Authorship Mark-up and it is a rich snippet used to verify the authorship of article writers. This article explains easily with step-by-step instructions how to create your own authorship rich snippet to generate more leads. This article is based on the fact that you already have a Google + page as part of your Google account.
Let’s face it (no pun intended) if you are searching for a service or product then you would be more likely to click on a search result that had a picture on it. The eyes are more drawn to it, and if it the only one on the page, studies have shown that the likelihood of a click is 150% more than for search results with no author picture.
How Do I Get my Picture on Google Search Results? Step 1 – Email Address
If you always ask How Do I Get my Picture on Google Search Results then you need to have an email address from the same domain that you want to show up on. So, if you have a website selling brown underpants called “brownunderpants.com” then you will need an email address like [email protected] You can usually get this from your hosting control panel, but if you don’t know how to set up an email address, then ask your hosting people to set one up for you.
How Do I Get my Picture on Google Search Results? Step 2 – Verify the Email Address
- Sign into your Google account
- Click on “Profile”
- From the Profile page click “About”
- From profile “about” Scroll down until you see “Contact Information”
- Click “Edit”
- Choose “email” from the drop down box
- Add your email address in the right field
- Click “save”
From that point, the website will show up in your “Contact Information” box with a link next to it which says “verify”.
- Click that “Verify” link and an email will be sent to the email address
- Sign in to the email account and click the link which says “Verify” from the email that has been sent to you from Google.
- Then go back to the Google + –> profile –> about –> Contact Information –> and refresh the browser.
- The word “Verify” should have been replaced with a tick ☑ and when you hover over with your mouse, the alternative text says “The profile owner has verified this email”
How Do I Get my Picture on Google Search Results? Step 3 – Add as Contributor
- Staying on Google + –> “profile” –> about –> now find the box that says “Links”
- Click “Edit”
- Near the bottom of the box find where it says “Contributor to”
- Click “add custom link”
- Click the name of the website where it says “label” – for example “Brown Underpants”
- Copy and Paste the full URL of the site where it says “URL” – for example “http//:www.brownunderpants.com”
- Scroll down and click “Save”
What Have We Just Done?
Ok, if you ask yourself “how do I get my picture on Google Search Results” then basically you have told Google that you are a writer, author, contributor to a certain blog or website, and you have verified an email with the exact domain name to prove it! So what do you have to do next? Well, read on and you’ll find out, geez!
How Do I Get my Picture on Google Search Results? Step 4 – Add an Author Headshot
You will need to have, as your Google + Profile Photo, a recognisable headshot! I’m not too sure how Google do it but they know if it is not a real headshot! They probably use facial recognition of some awesome Google stuff!!! It needs to be a picture of a face or most of the top half of a person because it is the proof of an author, so you can’t import a picture of your brand or logo, it just will not work. Anyway, there are some interesting things to consider when choosing a head shot. How do I get my picture on Google Search Results?
- Try to stay away from professional headshots! People want to connect with a real person and not a glossy Hollywood celeb, unless your brand / product / service calls for a glossy shot of course!
- Use a bit of colour in the photo, a blue or red background is a good idea as it shifts the eye away from the white search engine pages.
- Try to face to the right in your photos! As humans, our eyes are naturally drawn to look at what other people are looking at! We’ve all done it – your mate looks over your shoulder at something, and you just have to look, lol! Well, same thing here. In your picture it is best to be looking at, or facing towards, your search engine result.
- Sex Sells! There is no denying it, if you can get a hottie in the picture then all the better. It is not really all that important, but it will have some amount of influence on click through rates, rightly or wrongly.
Ok, so you have a good head shot that fits the bill outlined above, what do you do next?
- From the Google + page hover over the profile picture and the alt text will say “change profile picture” –> click this.
- Upload your picture from your computer
- Crop to get the best profile shot
- Click “Set as Profile Photo”
How Do I Get my Picture on Google Search Results? Step 5 – Add Author to Blog
I use WordPress, so this post is about configuring for WordPress, so if you want to ask “How Do I Get my Picture on Google Search Results” and you are not using WordPress then you will simply have to modify to your CMS!
- Go to your “profile” page
- Scroll down until you reach “First Name” – you must add the first name identical to the first name on your Google + account, which hopefully is your real first name.
- Under that you will see “Last Name” – same rules apply as for First name.
- For “Display Name Publically As” you should use the combination which is your real name, which should match identically the name of your Google + account.
- Add your Google + Profile URL – mine is – https://plus.google.com/u/0/102988337145282008421/
- Add your Twitter name (if possible)
- Add your Facebook Profile (if possible)
- Scroll down and click “Save”
OK, so Now What Have We Just Done?
Well, we have now established the author on the blog / website. We have a verified user on Google +, and we have now just linked that user on the website. What we have to do now is to make a link from the website / blog to the Google + page. This can be done in a number of different ways.
How Do I Get my Picture on Google Search Results? Step 6 – Add Backlink to Google + Profile
- The first way, and probably the easiest is to write some code in a TEXT widget. Add this –
<a href=”https://plus.google.com/u/0/102988337145282008421” rel=”nofollow” target=”_blank”>Wayne Davis Google +</a>
to a text widget. Replace my Google code (in red) with the URL of your own Google + profile, and add your own name (in red) (the same name as the WordPress Author and the Google + account). What this will do is add an author backlink to every page on your website.
- You will also need to add an Author Rel Code to the <head> of your site. Add this
<link rel=”author” href=”https://plus.google.com/102988337145282008421“/>
changing the URL (in red) to that of your own Google + Profile page. You can either add this to the Header of your theme, or your theme might have the ability to add code to the <head>. You can also use a plugin like http://wordpress.org/plugins/header-footer/.
That’s it! Just wait for a couple of days and your mug should start appearing in your search engine results pages. And you will never have to ask “How Do I Get my Picture on Google Search Results” ever again!
We can of course do this for you AND this is included as part of our SEO Packages